Masses of Humanity

Day 20--New York City

I have been mentally prepping myself for this day since we started the road trip. In 2014, I came by myself to NYC with a friend and it was SO overwhelming.  I didn't really enjoy the city and I haven't been that excited to return, especially with my kids.  But, it's a must-see as long as we are out here.

We arrived to New York on the train from New Jersey and I took a deep breath as we stepped out from the subway tunnel.  It's go time!

The look on the kids' faces were priceless!  All the sounds and smells and people just hit them smack in the face.  They wore the exact same face I did 5 years ago.



We sorta had a plan before arriving, though not a very good one.  The subway system takes some time to learn and the streets are overwhelming.  So our first stop was FAO Schwartz Toy, which was unplanned, but it was good to get out of the throngs of people.

Next stop was Rockefeller Center and the Nintendo Store.  Josh has been so excited to go here ever since he found out we were going to NYC.  He picked up his first souvenir.





After that, we stopped in at a Five Guys for some fries and drinks and then headed up to Central Park.  The weather was warm--definitely not as hot as it could be--and when we hit the park, there was some cloud cover.  Lila and Aunika wanted caricatures done, and it was so fun to watch the guy draw them.  I feel bad that I didn't have enough cash on me, but he was gracious enough to let us go $10 shy.




We went to a playground for a little while and Lila was in heaven.




Then we got on the train and took it all the way down to the other end to see the 9/11 Memorial.  We first  went to St James Cathedral where the forefathers went after signing the Declaration of Independence. 




We toyed with the idea of going into the 9/11 museum, but it was going to cost $125 and our track record with museums hasn't been awesome.  Maybe another time.

Wade wanted to go up to the top of a skyscraper, but balked at the idea of spending nearly $40 to do it.  I finally convinced him to go.  I had done the Empire State Building in 2014, so I stayed behind with Lila and we went and got ice cream.  Wade went up with the kids and I'm glad they got to experience it.








For dinner, Josh really wanted a philly cheesesteak sandwich--something new I didn't even know he liked--so we found a restaurant that served them and they were SO good.  The waiter was super nice too.




We were exhausted and decided to call it a day.  There is so much to still experience, but at least this was a small taste.  Will I be back?  Probably some time.  I want to walk the Brooklyn bridge and go to the top of the Statue of Liberty and probably a hundred other things.  But, I was also so tired.

We don't have any plans set in place for tomorrow.  Not sure where we're going to end up.  We need a day to just take it easy and relax after so much family togetherness.  So we'll be heading in the direction of Cape Cod, our next planned stop.  But where we end up, no one knows.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Roadblock

The Utah Connection

Down Day